Unhappy Grant Vortex 26 Combi Boiler Timer.

When I had a Grant Vortex 26 Combi Condenser Boiler installed about a year or so back, I was surprised when the installer told me that I could only have the central heating timer on my existing controller connected and not the hot water timer which must remain on constant unless I buy a Grant internal timer which apparently is very expensive. Can anyone confirm this? as I'm getting through the Kerosene (it's an oil fired boiler) like nobody's business and I thought it would be cheaper to run.

As the boiler has a small reserve hot water tank, the boiler fires up in the night to keep the water temperature up. Ok I could turn off the boiler at night but that's what timers are for.
    Was wondering wether to just put a timer in line with the main powr cable to switch the whole unit off overnight.

I bought 500L of kero at the end of Nov and have just ordered another 500L

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Hello

you can use any external 2 channel timer for the control of hot water and heating the boiler by which you discribe is a combination boiler

Quote Originally Posted by iain.bremner View Post
    Hello

you can use any external 2 channel timer for the control of hot water and heating the boiler by which you discribe is a combination boiler
    Thanks for the response. The manual states: "Important: Any remote timer must be of a single channel 230V type with voltage free output contacts"

There seems to be no wiring info in the manual for a hot water timer.

Hello, You can use a twin channel external programmer (Drayton, Honeywell etc) but I wouldn't advise timing the hot water (I never install twin channel timers on these boilers!) as you will probably use more fuel re-heating the internal store and won't have any decent hot water on demand outside the programme times. The internal store is a heat bank of primary water for heating the plate heat exchanger that produces hot water and is not a tank of useable hot tap water. Grant combi boilers historically only run with a central heating timer.
    Speak to Grant technical if you want more advice.

Wiring a two channel programmer is no problem, in fact the latest regs require that any boiler with a thermal store over 18 liters has 2 channel controls. Regards the oil consumption I think that your problem is insulation levels on the heating side.