How we're operating during the COVID-19 pandemic

Find out more How we’re operating during COVID-19
  • Get the best quotes, fast!
  • Over 5,000 engineers across the UK
  • Gas Safe registered engineers

Need a New Boiler?

Get FREE no-obligation quotes now!

  • No delays! Get quotes today
  • Compare quotes & get the best prices
  • Gas Safe & OFTEC registered engineers
 4.8 stars

1,372 reviews

 4.8 stars

1,372 reviews

Carbon monoxide charity risks closure due to lack of funds

13th Nov 2012

For the past seven years the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity has been working hard to raise awareness of the dangers surrounding carbon monoxide poisoning, however the charity is on the brink of closure due to a lack of funding. 

After suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning which had gone unnoticed, Lynn Griffiths came to establish the charity back in April 2005. In that seven years the charity has run numerous national press campaigns, established the Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week and lobbied for resources to help educate doctors and nurses in spotting the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning related illnesses.

Unfortunately due to a lack of funds the valuable work provided by the charity – which is run solely by a group of dedicated volunteers – is likely to cease by the end of the year, unless new funding can be found to give the charity a lifeline.

Despite having her gas appliances serviced on a regular basis, for single mum Lynn from Runcorn in Cheshire it was a partially-blocked flu which had remained undetected for year that was attributed to the carbon monoxide poisoning.

Commenting on the charity’s risk of closure, Lynn said: “This is important work and I believe we have succeeded in getting our message across and in saving many people from suffering and the possibility of premature death. I’m devastated by the thought of giving it up, but unless we secure funding from somewhere, we will cease all activities after Christmas this year.”

“I’ve dedicated the last seven years of my life to helping people avoid this unnecessary suffering. It's a cause I’m passionate about, but unless a fairy godmother should emerge out of the blue, I cannot see us continuing,” she added.

It’s estimated that around five million UK homes have gas appliances which are badly maintained or incorrectly installed. And with 50 fatalities and around 4,000 people diagnosed with low-level carbon monoxide poisoning annually, the work provided by the Carbon Monoxide Awareness charity is undoubtedly vital. Most carbon monoxide attributed deaths and illnesses occur as a result of faulty or badly installed gas appliances, blocked or partially blocked flues and poor ventilation. And sadly most could be avoided.

To learn more about the charity’s work visit

Boiler Guide Team

About the author

Boiler Guide Team

Boiler Guide has been home to a host of heating experts who have helped millions of UK homeowners searching for advice and guidance. If you’ve got heating questions, we’ll have the answers.

Need a new boiler?

Get FREE no-obligation quotes now!

Excellent 4.8 out of 5

Find local heating engineers

Find approved boiler engineers
in your area.

Begin your search by entering your postcode below.