Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blocked air intake at flue: Easy way to clean it out?

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked air intake at flue: Easy way to clean it out?

HI all,

We have a firebird 120 oil fired boiler. Recently it stopped firing, checked that there was fuel etc getting to the Riello burner, but still no joy. In fact when it tried to start the intake snorkel would shudder. As a test I unhooked the snorkel that connects the air intake of the burner to the flue the and hey presto it fired up as usual, but clearly not safe as its now pulling in room air. If I get the boiler running , and if i put the snorkel back over the flue connector while its burning, this makes the boiler cut out again. So at this point Im pretty sure the flue air intake is blocked.

The flue is horizontal and exits out of the wall behind the boiler. From the outside the exit of the flue is covered in a cone so there is no easy access from the outside. From the inside, the intake connector is at the side of the main exhaust flue and immediately bends to the left and then right. I've seen flexible flue brushes, but the run of the flue is about 3ft and non of them seem quite long enough. The flue is cemented into the wall and taking the whole thing apart to clean it seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Surely its not the only way?

Any suggestions appreciated

Nick
Working...
X