Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant boiler running issues

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant boiler running issues

Hi all, I'm after some advice if possible. I have a Grant Vortex Utility Boiler, running at the factory setting of 23bar, 78,475 BTU, it's a kerosene boiler.
    Last few days I have noticed its running a bit rough, from outside the building by the flue, it sounds as if its firing/stopping/firing and continues doing it. After looking at the burner, it lights, does the heating etc, but sounds like its stop starting when it's actually continuously running.
    I have removed the photo cell, it's clean, and when the boiler is running and I remove the photocell and cover it up, the boiler stops as I would expect.
    I'm wondering if the solenoid on the oil pump is working correctly as it sounds as if its chattering?
    Normally I would get a qualified engineer to look at it, but being a factory maintenance engineer and have some experience with oil boilers, I need to have a go at it as its a bank holiday weekend!

Any advice would be a great help, thanks.

Hi,
    Is the burner pulsing on and off and what type of flue system have you got?
    RDB Burner solenoid coils are usually very reliable, could still be a problem with PE cell even if it is clean.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Managed to get it going this morning, turned out to be a faulty oil pump. When I removed the nozzle to have a look again, I could see metallic deposits in the base of the jet holder so it was a good clue that the pump was damaged.
      After fitting the new pump and nozzle, and set it up, I opened the old pump.
      The small driven gear was fractured, it was probably sticking momenterally causing the pulsing, with probably reduced flow too. The pump casting had worn a bit, so that's where the metallic deposits were coming from.
      All running well now

Comment

Hello,

Have you checked the TMV?
        emergency plumber

Comment

Working...
        X