Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change 3 way diverter valve

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change 3 way diverter valve

I have a faulty 3 way mid position Honeywell diverter valve thats needs changing but I am unsure if I need to drain the system down. There is a shut off valve (tap) between the pump and the diverter valve inlet and another one in the exit from the diverter valve to the radiators. However the hot water outlet goes direct into the water storage tank without any shut off valve. If I close off the 2 valves can I just run off the hot water to drain the tank and then remove and replace the 3 way valve or do I still need to drain off the radiators?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Based on what you have said there I would strongly recommend getting a qualified Engineer out!!

Comment

Originally posted by elmryan View Post
      Based on what you have said there I would strongly recommend getting a qualified Engineer out!!
      Anybody else with a more useful response??

Comment

Originally posted by kawakiman View Post
        I have a faulty 3 way mid position Honeywell diverter valve thats needs changing but I am unsure if I need to drain the system down. There is a shut off valve (tap) between the pump and the diverter valve inlet and another one in the exit from the diverter valve to the radiators. However the hot water outlet goes direct into the water storage tank without any shut off valve. If I close off the 2 valves can I just run off the hot water to drain the tank and then remove and replace the 3 way valve or do I still need to drain off the radiators?
        Any help would be appreciated, thanks
        You really do not know what you are doing. Pay an engineer to do it right. It is not possible to educate you enough over the internet for you to do it safely yourself. It you try you risk many problems and a larger bill than it would have cost initially.

Comment

How to change a 3 way diverter valve

Originally posted by albatross View Post
          You really do not know what you are doing. Pay an engineer to do it right. It is not possible to educate you enough over the internet for you to do it safely yourself. It you try you risk many problems and a larger bill than it would have cost initially.
          If I knew what I was doing why would I bother asking a reasonable question??? Thanks for nothing!!!!

Comment

Based on what you have told us you need to drain down the central heating system otherwise you are going to have one big flood. Best call in a heating engineer.

Comment

If you think that by "running of the hot water to drain the tank" will remove the water between the mid position valve and cylinder then I'd agree with elmryan! The two are separate! However if there is a gate valve on the return out of the cylinder then you can turn that off and that will stop the water coming out, you'll still get a bit come out, but I'd still call a professional if I were you.

Comment

Yes you can shut off the 2 valves and drain the hot water pipe
                regards Gary
                lift up the ball valve in the storage tank to stop it filling

Comment

Garydurn......are you sure??!!

Comment

Originally posted by garydurn View Post
                    Yes you can shut off the 2 valves and drain the hot water pipe
                    regards Gary
                    lift up the ball valve in the storage tank to stop it filling
                    Learn something everyday I do…………………………….

Comment

You may only need to replace the head, depending on the age of the diverter valve and what you problem is. That would not need a drain down as you don't need to open anything wet. BUT it involves electrics and if you are unsure, get someone in who knows what to do.
                      SP Boiler Services - Serving Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by kawakiman View Post

Anybody else with a more useful response??
                        HI i am not a gas safe engineer, i have a E168 fault on my boiler, had someone come out and got a qoute for £300 just to replace a 3 way diverter valve. screw that, Youtube the crap out of your problem. and then do it yourself if you feel confident enough. ive looked online priced the part i need for £60 will do that myself.
                        1 of lifes experiences

Comment

Just to clarify, any work carried out on a boiler should be carried out by a competent person. You will be liable if caught and likely prosecuted by the courts. Not only that, but if it goes wrong and someone is hurt, you will take full responsibility and this could be months/years after your work.
                          My advice is donít risk it people, get someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                          X