Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glow Worm Spacesaver 80 BR Mk2 lighting problem

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow Worm Spacesaver 80 BR Mk2 lighting problem

I've just returned from my holiday and turned the gas supply back on - the boiler was working fine over September. (Incidently the gas fire works fine by the way since I returned).

I had difficulty lighting the pilot jet, and as it has been a long time since I last changed the thermocouple I fitted a new one today and gently hoovered the main burner. The pilot lit easily - so far so good!

The boiler lit up on the button but self-extinguished after about a minute. This behaviour was repeated regardless of whether I switched on the central heating on or just the hot water. This was tried about eight times.

I've removed the thermocouple gland from the gas valve, checked it for cleanliness and not overtightened it when refitting.

Could it be that the new thermocouple is somehow faulty, (its a reputable make from a well known supplier)? Can I check it with a multimeter, and if so how?

Any other suggestions?

thanks
    Oldporridge

The filter and gauze shield in the gas valve were dirty and have been serviced, but has not made any difference.

I'm beginning to suspect the thermostat phial may be faulty. How to test it?

I'd appreciate any comments.

thanks
    Oldporridge

Comment

When the burner is off the pilot will envelop the probe of the t couple when the boiler fires the effect of the combustion will drag the pilot off the probe.. answer clean the pilot supply or at worse replace . check combustion of the appliance as if it is sooted or flue blocked then the burner will lift off and choke itself. please be careful reccomend you have a combustion test or service.

Comment

Recommend u get a qualified installer. To test light pilot, get boiler in demand put blow rich on t couple tip, if boilers stays on u u know t couple ok, light pilot blow out after 10 seconds or so u should hear clunk of gv shutting. Check burner pressure and effectiveness of flue. Is air supply sufficient. Give gv a knock on side with handle of screwdriver gv stuick some times

Comment

Thanks Failsafe and Guywho - all now sorted. My gas man returned from holiday last night and he has cleaned out the pilot jet supply pipe, jet, and tweaked the cowl over the pilot jet to ensure a well positioned flamepipe.

Thanks to all
          Oldporridge

Comment

Working...
          X