Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ignition problems with valliant 242e

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problems with valliant 242e

hi

i'm having a problem with a valliant 242e. to begin with, we had central heating but no hot water. the diaphragm has been changed once a year for the past 5 years so this time we have changed the diverter all together.

boiler was recharged and worked perfectly for 24 hours.
    new problem now is that the boiler will not light when calling for either heating or hot water. we call for heat, the pump and fan both start running, the ignition sparks for ten seconds but no flame. boiler goes into lock out.

the gas solenoid was first thought to be faulty so we changed it but made no difference. it must surely be a gas problem as the boiler goes through the ignition sequence but never lights. gas has been purged and the system has been fully bled of air.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

if its the old vaillant 15 yrs plus and has black switch and red switch if neon still going
    you need to see if gas is at burners with u gauge or electronic meter
    if no gas check safety switch or power to gas valve
    if gas is presant at burners and on lpg injectors need cleaning

Comment

The model is a turbomax VUW 242e. Has a black panel with a row of led's to display the boiler functions and green turn nobs for the temp control and power

Hope this helps

Comment

its the next boiler inthe series
        you need to follow the advice above
        which should lead you in the wright direction
        also is it lpg r nat gas

Comment

It's natural gas this one

Have checked that the solenoid is getting 200vdc so that seems ok
          Have checked to see of there's 20vdc at the gas operator and that's ok
          Have also checked the operator for 2000ohms resistance. It's showing up approx 1750

Comment

Originally posted by lewiscrichton View Post
            It's natural gas this one

Have checked that the solenoid is getting 200vdc so that seems ok
            Have checked to see of there's 20vdc at the gas operator and that's ok
            Have also checked the operator for 2000ohms resistance. It's showing up approx 1750
            we have a similar problem with same boiler, Turbomax 242e. No spark or ignition. Following the fault finding charts you end up at ‘defective electronic boards’. Board has been replaced with a new (not refurbished) one. Still no spark. Electrode and electrode cables have also been replaced. Air pressure switch has also been checked. Fan and pump are perfect and all lights come on. Demand for c/h light comes on and after trying to light goes to red light for lockout. When I open the screw on the gas valve I can smell the gas so it’s definitely present. Only it refuses to spark. Engineer came out today and played around with everything. He took off the electrode cables to listen for the sparking sound from the board, he says he couldn’t hear it. Put the original board back on and it’s exactly the same. Played around with both boards, makes no difference.
            Next he spoke to Vaillant technical support, same deal hey said board is gone. When we rang back he got told try the air pressure switch. They never said what to do beyond this.
            Im not trying to do this myself. I did do my ccn1 many years back so I know a little about this stuff but I run my own business now. The reason I wanted the answer was because we were both stumped by the issue. And apparently so were Vaillant technical support. None of us could work out what it actually was.
            So please anyone out there, why won’t the thing spark?

Comment

Working...
            X