Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very large house, which boiler?

Collapse
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very large house, which boiler?

I have a 3 story, 7 bedroom 4 bathroom 4 reception house.
    The old boiler was a Potterton Kingfisher which has packed in. The boiler has 47kw on it.
    The system is set up for open vented as far as I know.

I am toying with the idea of combining the gas system with a wood burner at some point in the future. I can get free wood.
    I have had a few people round. I do not seem to be making much headway.

Having read the forum and the Worcester Bosch site it would seem the best option is a twin boiler system. No-one has recommended this despite me talking about it.
    The solid fuel advisory literature says you need an open vented system if you want to combine gas with solid fuel. Since I have all the tanks in place this is the obvious option.

I have seem people here recommending running two boilers in tandem.
    Zoning the house so the upstairs and downstairs can be controlled separately off two thermostats.

Does anyone have any further advice on boiler makes and models, pumps or other details?
    This would be very much appreciated.

Hello yes you have the right ideas, zoning upstairs from downstairs and combining a wood burner. a sealed unvented hot water cylinder may be incorporated with a buffer tank for optimum hot water flow rates for so many outlets. Depending on your incoming water supply pipe size and pressures achieved. How about incorporating Solar thermal too ? I am plumber heating engineer established 30 years. hope this helps you.
    With such a high output required smaller boilers in tandem would improve efficiency drastically compared to running one large boiler plus added reliability. Vaillant is the premium boiler range i do not entertain Worcester. Intergas are another reliable study designed boiler for combi, system or unvented. Many design features are needed to recommend your correct system.

Comment

Hi, I have just completed a similar installation to the one your planning. Boilerman is pretty near the mark in what he suggests however you need to be carfull linking the wood burner to the Thermal Store, it would need to be linked via a plate heat exchanger with various controls fitted. Plus a heat leak radiator fitted to disapate excessive heat in case of a power failure.

Comment

Look up the Viessmann 222, Boiler and stored hot water together (130lts)
        10 yrs Guarentee on heat-exchanger, and 5yrs parts and labour (With a Viessmann trained installer),Like us.
        With weather compensation, and easy Viessmann controls.

Comment

According to me, you need a cylinder then Or you will not get enough flow of hot water. Another thing is that depend how good the mains pressure and flow rate is, I would certainly look at an Avanta system boiler and an unvented cylinder.
          emergency plumber

Comment

Working...
          X