Homeowners Shouldn’t Overlook the Importance of Having a Carbon Monoxide Detector Fitted

9th Jun 2011

A well-installed, regularly maintained gas boiler is extremely reliable and unlikely to pose any risk to your household. But a recent survey by Carillion Energy Services has suggested that around 26% of households haven’t had their central heating boilers serviced in the last 12 months.

Not only are these boilers likely to be operating less effectively, there is an increased risk of them burning fuel inefficiently, which means they could be giving out dangerous CO fumes. Since all the fuel used to heat your water contains carbon, when it’s burnt properly – in plenty of oxygen – it produces carbon dioxide. But if your boiler isn’t working efficiently it can form carbon monoxide instead.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas. Almost impossible to notice, if it builds up in your house, it can pose a really significant health risk to you and your family. Which is why homeowners are encouraged to fit carbon monoxide detectors.

Although most homeowners think nothing of fitting smoke alarms to their properties, it’s a different story when it comes to boilers.

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause headaches, vertigo, and flu-like symptoms. But the real danger is that greater exposure can lead to damage to the central nervous system and, in extreme cases, even death. So for peace of mind, it’s important to instruct a Gas Safe Registered Engineer to undertake a boiler service once every 12 months,  and to fit at least one carbon monoxide sensor.

Carbon monoxide sensors last on average between 5 and 7 years, so it’s important to replace them before they reach the end of their operational life.

Carillion Energy Services installs around 30,000 central heating and boiler systems each year, which makes them the second largest heating installer in the UK.