Pensioners killed by carbon monoxide poisoning from boiler

31st Jan 2011

An elderly couple have died from carbon monoxide poisoning at their home.

Staffordshire police discovered the bodies of John and Pat Warrington at their Longton home after being called to check on them by neighbours. It is thought that Mr Warrington, aged 65, had been trying to repair his boiler prior to the tragedy.

Neighbours had grown concerned for the couple and contacted the police after their garage door and house curtains still remained open in the night. Police went to the house on Wednesday, January 12 and found Mr Warrington’s body in the kitchen and that of his 62-year-old wife in the lounge. A post-mortem examination has concluded they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

It is believed that the Warringtons had trouble getting their boiler to light after returning from holiday. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has now launched an investigation into the deaths but were unable to comment.