Boiler Scrappage Scotland – Scottish Boiler Replacement Scheme
By Rob Hull on July 23, 2010
The Boiler Scrappage Scheme is now closed. You can however apply for a free ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) grant funded boiler at www.boilergrants.co.uk.
After the success of the first Boiler Scrappage Scheme that launched last year, Scotland will offer a similar rebate on replacing your old inefficient boiler for a new A-rated boiler from February 1, 2011.
The Scottish Government has allocated £1m to the new scheme which will see vouchers offered to homeowners north of the border.
The aim is to replace low efficiency rate boilers with A-rated Energy Saving Trust recommended boilers to save 2,500 tonnes of CO2 being omitted in Scotland per year, cut the cost of Scottish homeowner’s energy bills and provide the heating industry with a host of new work.
The scheme is operated by the Energy Saving Trust and offers an allowance of £400 to homeowners looking to replace boilers of less than 70 per cent efficiency.
Alex Neil, Housing and Communities Minister, said: “Through the boiler scrappage scheme we will help replace rickety old boilers for new energy saving models and importantly, put money back in the pockets of householders. At the same time we are providing an economic stimulus for the heating industry, supporting jobs and helping it get through this financially difficult time.”
- Your current boiler must be in working order and with a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70 per cent. You can check your boiler’s efficiency rating at Home Heating Guide on their boiler efficiency rating page.
- If you are aged over 60 and have a boiler that is not working but has a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70 per cent, you may still apply.
- You must be installing an Energy Saving Trust Recommended (ESTR) boiler or a Microgeneration Certification Scheme accredited model.
- The property where the boiler is to be installed must be a domestic address in Scotland.
- You must also be the owner/occupier of the residential property.
- Before making an application you must have received a written/verbal quotation for your boiler replacement.
- You must make an application and receive your voucher before having the boiler replaced. The installation must not have commenced before the date on which the rebate voucher is received.
- The installer must be Gas Safe registered (for gas installation) and should be a member of a recognised industry body such as OFTEC.
- Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.
How Do I Apply?
- Apply for quotes for a new boiler.
- Apply for a voucher online or call the Energy Saving Trust on 0800 512 012 with the following information:
- Your full name.
- The address of the property you wish to claim the voucher for.
- The make and name of the boiler being scrapped.
- The company name, address and contact details of the installer carrying out the work.
- The type of replacement boiler to be installed e.g. gas, biomass etc.
- Confirmation that you have received a quote or visit from the installer to carry out the work.
- You must pay for the boiler and installation work up-front.
- You claim back the £400 by sending the completed voucher and invoice back to the Energy Saving Trust by March 25, 2011.
- If you proceed with your installation before you receive your voucher, you will invalidate your claim and you will no longer be eligible for the £400 rebate.