Installers of renewable energy generation and energy storage systems can now show customers they’re competent with Flexi-Orb certification.
The Flexible Energy Oversight Registration Body (Flexi-Orb) certification is an alternative to the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) and is of an equivalent standing.
Solar installations carried out by an installer with Flexi-Orb certification will be eligible to receive payments through the Smart Export Guarantee which is due to roll out in 2020.
What is Flexi-Orb Certification?
Flexi-Orb exists to ensure the safe and effective sale, installation and commissioning of energy generating, saving and storing systems.
An online system known as the Flexible Energy Register, established by Flexi-Orb, recognises those certified to install, fix and maintain energy systems to a safe and high standard of quality. Products registered on the Flexible Energy Register include:
- Combined Heat & Power
- Energy Storage Device
- Energy Storage Systems
- EV Charging Point
- EV Storage Device
- Heat Pumps
- Infrared Heating
- Micro Wind Turbines
- Solar PV
- Solar Thermal
- Voltage Optimisers
After the installation of the flexible energy product, you will be able to register the customer’s information on the Flexi-Orb Energy Register. Once done, the customer will be sent a certificate to prove the installation was up to standard and they’ll also be encouraged to write a review of the installation as a way of maintaining standards.
What is the Role of Flexi-Orb?
Flexi-Orb exists to give consumers the confidence they’re hiring a competent installer and put installers in a position where they can give potential customers that confidence.
From monitoring installers to maintain standards right through to giving energy systems a second life once they’ve been decommissioned, Flexi-Orb are set to play a big role in the industry.
Ensuring that installations are up to a high standard is one of the main priorities of Flexi-Orb and they do so by monitoring product and installer standards:
- Product standards: moving towards a decarbonised energy network means ensuring that the system being installed is up to standard and will deliver on its promise.
- Installation standards: every Flexi-Orb installer will have demonstrated that they’re fully capable of installing technology on the Flexible Energy Register to a high standard
- Ensure that all installations comply with building control regulations laid out by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) where relevant.
With the Feed-in Tariff coming to an end in 2019 it’s important for consumers to have an incentive to turn to renewable energy generation. Flexi-Orb are working to help deliver the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) to help incentivise consumers and earn installers more work.
Flexi-Orb can act as a mediator in the event there’s a disagreement between the installer and consumer. Their Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
To maintain standards, installers certified by Flexi-Orb will be audited on a regular basis – normally in the form of an inspection of previous installations. Flexi-Orb will also contact every customer to discuss their experience with the installer who carried out the installation of the energy product.
Flexi-Orb envision a circular economy where waste is minimised. This means that when the product comes to the end of its life, it can be used again with an alternative purpose. For example, energy storage systems in an electric vehicle could later be used to store energy in the home.
What are the Benefits of Flexi-Orb to Installers?
With Flexi-Orb certification, installers will be able to enjoy a number of benefits:
- Access reviews from your customer on the Flexible Energy Register and add them to your website to help you earn more customers in the future.
- Full compliance with the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE).
- Connect with finance lenders who can offer competitive consumer credit deals.
- After the installation, your customers will receive a certificate from Flex-Orb – which you’re also able to access.
- Keep track of when the solar panels you’ve installed will need to be serviced with automatic service and maintenance reminders.
- Receive free advice and guidance on how to sell solar energy systems to potential customers.
Customer Benefits of Using a Flexi-Orb Member
Consumers are becoming much more aware and conscious of the impact they’re having on the environment and are looking for ways to lower their carbon footprint. For many, the efforts begin at home as consumers look for more control over their energy supply.
Solar PV and solar thermal are increasing in popularity all the time and customers will be looking for an installer that holds a relevant accreditation – Flexi-Orb, MCS or equivalent. Hiring an installer who holds one of these certifications is of benefit to customers in a number of ways:
- High standard installation that’s fully compliant with building regulations
- An Insurance Backed Guarantee for protection should the installer cease trading
- Ability to leave reviews of the installers which the installer can then add to their website
- Receive a net zero-carbon homes rating certificate
Importantly, hiring a Flexi-Orb certified installer will also enable the customer to register with the Smart Export Guarantee and earn payments for sending excess energy to the National Grid.
Grow Your Solar Company
If you’re a solar panel installer who holds Flexi-Orb, MCS or an equivalent certification then we can connect you with customers based in your coverage area.
It’s completely free to sign-up – and you won’t find any hidden subscription or membership fees along the way – simply pay for the jobs you want as and when you want them. You can even set up alerts so that you’re the first to know about new solar leads in your area.