Boiler Scrappage Scheme – Cash for Old Boilers – How to Apply
The Boiler Scrappage Scheme is now closed. You can however apply for an ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) grant funded boiler at Boiler Grants.
The Government is offering £400 towards the cost of a new boiler for home owners in England who scrap their old G-rated boilers
If you would like to receive 3 quotes for a new boiler direct to your inbox, please complete this form.
As part of Government action to reduce CO2 emissions, 125,000 householders could be eligible for a £400 voucher for scrapping their old G-rated boilers. The vouchers can be used towards the cost of a new A-rated boiler or renewable energy heating system with effect from 18th January 2010.
Am I eligible?
The scheme is open to home owners or private landlords. To be eligible the boiler being scrapped must be the main boiler used in the home and be fully functional, although for those over 60 it doesn’t have to be in working order. There is one voucher allowed per household, and the scheme currently applies to English residents only.
Benefits of the Scheme
The scrappage scheme has been introduced to help counter the effects of global warming, as old G-rated boilers emit higher levels of CO2. There will also be financial benefits to the boiler industry. Additionally, householders will find a reduction in energy costs through more fuel efficient A-rated boilers.
How can I tell if my boiler qualifies?
G-rated boilers qualify for the scheme. These are likely to include gas boilers with a permanent pilot light, those over 15 years old and oil fired boilers over 25 years old, as these will all have an efficiency rating lower than 70%. If you are unsure, you can check your boiler’s energy efficiency rating at www.homeheatingguide.co.uk. Your boiler installation engineer will also be able to give advice on whether your boiler will be eligible.
You can redeem your voucher towards the cost of the following A-rated or renewable energy heating systems:
- A-rated gas, oil or LPG boilers
- Boilers with a Passive Flue Heat Recovery Device
- Solar Thermal systems in conjunction with a suitable boiler replacement
- Micro CHP units
- Microgeneration Certification Scheme-registered biomass boilers and heat pumps
How to apply
To apply for your £400 voucher, arrange for a quote to convert to one of the above types of heating systems; this should be provided by a qualified installer. You should then ring the Energy Saving Trust on: 0800 512 012 and provide details of:
- Your name
- The address of the property where your boiler is sited
- The make and model of your old boiler
- Name, address and contact details of your installer
- The type of boiler that will replace your old boiler
It is important to wait until receiving your voucher before having a new boiler fitted. This can take up to ten days.
When you receive the invoice from your installer, send it with the £400 voucher to the Energy Saving Trust. You can check for their address if you don’t already have it by telephoning them on: 0800 512 012.
You must use your boiler scrappage voucher within 12 weeks of the issue date otherwise it will be cancelled. It is possible to reapply for a voucher, but you may miss out as only the first 125,000 home owners will qualify.
To request a quote for a new boiler in your area please visit our get a quote page.
Boiler Scrappage in Scotland
The Boiler Scrappage Scheme is now closed. You can however apply for a free ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) grant funded boiler at Boiler Grants.
After the success of the first Boiler Scrappage Scheme that launched last year, Scotland will offer a similar rebate on replacing your old inefficient boiler for a new A-rated boiler from February 1, 2011.
The Scottish Government has allocated £1m to the new scheme which will see vouchers offered to homeowners north of the border.
The aim is to replace low efficiency rate boilers with A-rated Energy Saving Trust recommended boilers to save 2,500 tonnes of CO2 being omitted in Scotland per year, cut the cost of Scottish homeowner’s energy bills and provide the heating industry with a host of new work.
The scheme is operated by the Energy Saving Trust and offers an allowance of £400 to homeowners looking to replace boilers of less than 70 per cent efficiency.
Alex Neil, Housing and Communities Minister, said: “Through the boiler scrappage scheme we will help replace rickety old boilers for new energy saving models and importantly, put money back in the pockets of householders. At the same time we are providing an economic stimulus for the heating industry, supporting jobs and helping it get through this financially difficult time.”
- Your current boiler must be in working order and with a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70 per cent. You can check your boiler’s efficiency rating at Home Heating Guide on their boiler efficiency rating page.
- If you are aged over 60 and have a boiler that is not working but has a SAP2005 efficiency rating of less than 70 per cent, you may still apply.
- You must be installing an Energy Saving Trust Recommended (ESTR) boiler or a Microgeneration Certification Scheme accredited model.
- The property where the boiler is to be installed must be a domestic address in Scotland.
- You must also be the owner/occupier of the residential property.
- Before making an application you must have received a written/verbal quotation for your boiler replacement.
- You must make an application and receive your voucher before having the boiler replaced. The installation must not have commenced before the date on which the rebate voucher is received.
- The installer must be Gas Safe registered (for gas installation) and should be a member of a recognised industry body such as OFTEC.
- Installation of a microgeneration technology must be carried out by a person qualified under the Microgeneration Certification Scheme.
How Do I Apply?
- Apply for quotes for a new boiler.
- Apply for a voucher online or call the Energy Saving Trust on 0800 512 012 with the following information:
- Your full name.
- The address of the property you wish to claim the voucher for.
- The make and name of the boiler being scrapped.
- The company name, address and contact details of the installer carrying out the work.
- The type of replacement boiler to be installed e.g. gas, biomass etc.
- Confirmation that you have received a quote or visit from the installer to carry out the work.
- You must pay for the boiler and installation work up-front.
- You claim back the £400 by sending the completed voucher and invoice back to the Energy Saving Trust by March 25, 2011.
- If you proceed with your installation before you receive your voucher, you will invalidate your claim and you will no longer be eligible for the £400 rebate.
The Boiler Scrappage Scheme is now closed. You can however apply for an ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) grant funded boiler at www.boilergrants.co.uk.
Plans for the Government’s long awaited Boiler Scrappage Scheme have been announced. The scheme launched on January 5th focuses on the replacement of the country’s most inefficient boiler models.
The upgrade of these older boilers to newer more energy efficient ‘A’ rated boilers can reduce a household’s energy bill by up to £230 a year and carbon dioxide emissions by up to a tonne.
The scheme which is operated by the Energy Saving Trust (EST) offers an allowance of £400 to those householders who own a working ‘G’ rated boiler of 70% efficiency or less, the scheme also includes un-rated boilers of efficiency less than 70% but eligibility should be confirmed with the EST.
How Do I Apply?
1) First check your boiler’s efficiency rating and whether it’s G rated with a 70% efficiency or less. You can do this at Home Heating Guide on their boiler scrappage rating page.
2) Apply for quotes for a new boiler, you can do this here or by calling British Gas on 0800 327 7119.
3) Call the Energy Savings Trust on 0800 512 012 with the following information:…
i) Your full name.
ii) The address of the property you wish to claim the voucher for.
iii) The make and name of the boiler being scrapped.
iv) The company name , address and contact details of the installer carrying out the work.
v) The type of replacement boiler to be installed e.g. gas, biomass.
vi)Confirmation that you have received a quote or visit from the installer to carry out the work.
Darling has put aside £50 million for the scheme which is expected to cover 125,000 households and will soon be allocated. A full guide to eligibility and the steps required to apply can be found here: applying for the boiler scrappage voucher.
David Holmes founder of Boiler Guide commented “The scheme is capped so eligible householders would be well advised to source quotes for a boiler replacement as soon as possible, this will ensure they are well positioned to request a voucher which will be issued on a first-come first-served basis”
The scrappage scheme has been warmly welcomed by environmental campaigners and industry bodies. The scheme will generate much needed work for heating engineers whilst helping reduce carbon dioxide emissions by up to 125,000 tonnes per year.
If you would like to receive 3 new boiler quotes direct to your inbox, please complete this form.