Heat Genius Intelligent Heating Controls
Released in 2013 by a Birmingham based company, Heat Genius is one of the most comprehensive models to hit the fast growing market of smart programmable thermostats. With its ability to control up to 30 different zones, Heat Genius is highly customisable and allows you to build a smart heating system based on your household's specific needs.
How does Heat Genius work?
Utilising wireless technology, Heat Genius includes a 'Genius Hub' which connects to your broadband router and communicates with the boiler controller and thermostat. Once your system is in place you can use the app interface via your smartphone, laptop or tablet to switch between the four modes available:
- Off: turns the heating off but will not let a room temperature drop below 4 degrees.
- Timer mode: you can set up a 7 day schedule to control heating in each room/ zone to fit to your lifestyle.
- Footprint mode: Heat Genius will react to your presence (if you have opted for wireless room sensors) and alter the heating accordingly. It will also learn your patterns and adjust to these.
- Override: set a short term temperature that overrides the normal settings and mode.
Heat Genius is compatible with multiple heating types including radiators and hot water. You can also add smart plugs to the package which are primarily designed to boost the signal for the system but can also be used to turn electrical items on and off. Underfloor heating compatibility is set to come soon.
The price of a Heat Genius system varies depending on what you want included. The remote heating control on its own costs £249.99 but you can customise your system by adding additional elements at an extra cost including:
- Hot water controls
- Zoned heating controls (radiator valves)
- Smart heating controls (wireless room sensors)
- Smart plug controls
The Heat Genius website allows you to design a detailed smart heating system for your home by entering details about your boiler, water heating and even room types.
Who can use it?
Heat Genius has a wide appeal and has been adopted by homeowners and businesses alike. With the option for 30 different zones the device is well suited to large homeowners, and because it is a buildable package small homeowners can utilise the thermostat without paying for zones they would not use. The system has also proved successful in businesses like bed and breakfast's where the owner is able to only heat the areas being used by guests, saving money on running costs.
Benefits of the Heat Genius smart thermostat:
- Controllable by smartphone and website
- Charts on patterns and temperatures in your home
- Uses motion detection technology
- Weather responsive
- Frost protection
- Can detect when a window or door is open and adjust for this
- Ideal for large homeowners with up to 30 zone controls